Man United are accused of covering up £85m star Antony’s assault allegations by ex-girlfriend’s lawyers, as she leaks WhatsApp messages and claims she was treated by team doctors – but club insist her claims are ‘categorically FALSE’
The bombshell accusation has been made by Gabriela Cavallin and her lawyers to Sao Paulo Civil Police who are investigating the allegations of assault alongside Greater Manchester Police.
United described any suggestion of a cover-up as ‘categorically false’ on Wednesday night.
Cavallin claims that the club despatched a player support officer to the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Manchester where it’s alleged that Antony assaulted his then girlfriend on January 15.
She says that the 23-year-old headbutted her and then caused one of her breast implants to become dislodged by throwing her forcefully onto the bed and falling on top of her. She claims to have needed reconstructive surgery and also suffered a cut to her head.
Man United have been accused of covering up £85m star Antony’s alleged incidents of assault
The DJ and influencer Gabriela Cavallin has made several allegations against the Brazil star
Antony is alleged to have contacted members of the club and doctors after an alleged violent incident in January 2023. United have insisted Cavallin’s claims are ‘categorically false’
Cavallin’s legal team allege that the support officer tried to conceal the attack by calling a club doctor to assess her so that she would not go to a hospital and arouse any suspicion.
Reports in Brazil on Wednesday claimed that they have asked Sao Paulo Police to investigate the support officer’s role in the incident, and lawyers have also requested CCTV footage from the hotel.
United confirmed on Wednesday night that a member of staff arranged for a private doctor to visit Cavallin at Antony’s request, but denied that she was treated by any of the club’s medical staff.
It’s understood to be common for United’s welfare team to arrange for doctors to see partners and family members of players.
United insist that neither the club or the support officer were aware of any of the allegations of assault against Antony until they appeared in the Brazilian media in June.
Your browser does not support iframes.
A statement read: ‘Any suggestion that the club covered-up these allegations is categorically false.’
Antony has denied Cavallin’s claims that he assaulted her on four occasions and volunteered himself for interview in June. United have also said that they will co-operate with any police inquiries.
The club have resisted calls from domestic abuse campaigners to suspend the player, although manager Erik ten Hag has the option to rest Antony and shield him from the spotlight when his team return to action against Brighton in nine days’ time.
United issued a short statement on Wednesday saying: ‘Manchester United acknowledges the allegations made against Antony and notes that the police are conducting enquiries. Pending further information, the club will be making no further comments.
‘As a club, we are taking this matter seriously, with consideration of the impact of these allegations and subsequent reporting will have on survivors of abuse.’
Antony was dropped from the Brazil squad for the latest spate of international qualifiers
Domestic violence charities have urged the club that ‘the world will be watching’ their response to the allegations just days after former player Mason Greenwood joined Getafe
Antony’s girlfriend Rosilene Silva was seen leaving the couple’s mansion with a suitcase in tow
United have been advised to proceed cautiously on the basis that police investigations are ongoing in both the UK and Brazil.
The club have tried to learn from criticism of their handling of Mason Greenwood, who was suspended for 18 months and sent out on loan to Getafe last week after being accused of attempted rape and assault. Greenwood denies the allegations and the Crown Prosecution Service dropped all charges in February.
United spoke to officials from the Professional Footballers’ Association on Wednesday and have also taken advice from Women’s Aid in recent weeks.
Teresa Parker, head of media at Women’s Aid, who developed the Football United Against Domestic Violence campaign, said: ‘We have been speaking to Manchester United over the past few weeks, and recently met with them to talk about the work we do at the charity and in our football campaign.
‘Sharing insights and knowledge are important to creating understanding of domestic abuse, which can then be factored into future decision making.
‘At Women’s Aid we welcome these conversations, and value building relationships that we hope will have a positive impact moving forward.’